PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real cost of gaining PPL in the UK 2014
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2014, 17:10
riverrock83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learnt slowly (my own choice) over 2 years - flying within my means. Completed my PPL 1 year ago. I fly about the same amount per month now as I did during training, so I know my limitations. Over the extended time I flew 3 quite different types and had 2 main instructors, with some others from time to time.
I enjoyed the training!

"Ground School" can be all self taught at the moment (although that is becoming more structured so it might not be like that for ever). The only more formal classroom teaching I had was for briefings before / after lessons.

During my time I also did some aeros, got involved in doing some basic owner maintenance (mainly aircraft washing) and joined a group (yes - you can learn to fly in a Permit to Fly aircraft, that is in a group, but you probably need to marry your instructors daughter so you don't have to pay them fees ).

Took me 66 hours and cost about £11K all in, although I wasn't counting. That includes trial lessons, extra time needed to convert between types, relearn things forgotten and keep up currency (took me extra time to sit some exams) as well as landings, memberships, medical, exam fees.

At most places you are essentially charged for time in the air, so the only dissadvantage of being at a large international airport is that you might have to "orbit" if you are coming into land at the same time as a commercial operator. Landing fees at my "international airport" are actually less than at some smaller airports. However it is worth checking. I probably did 250 landings during training (i didn't count them at the beginning - hence the guess). Can be a good time to practice "steep turns"...

Some people do learn more quickly than others, but you give yourself the best chance at minimum hours if you do it quickly. Me - I was happy to spread the cost over time and I enjoyed the training so the extra time didn't bother me!

Should say - if you can, keep to as few instructors as possible. Clubs / schools will try to standardise as much as possible, but each instructor will have their own, slightly different way of doing things. Sometimes a change is necessary - perhaps that different way just clicks with you - but more likely it will confuse. Must say - all my instructors were brilliant, and complemented each other, but having a "primary" one helped a lot.

Best of luck
RR