PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is my instructor leaching me?
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2014, 10:12
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
at your stage of training, frequency of lessons ~ consistency/motor skills/reactions improvement.

I would NOT use such strong negative word with respect to your instructor.
If you're not happy, ask him in nice way, if not, as chief instructor to have another instructor or check flight with him. 'unbiased' third party, at least.

Yes, some schools in some places/countries may prefer to oversell/overtrain both before solo and private flight test and also mitigate the risks regarding insurance (and renewal premiums) when sending for first/early solos, but honestly, aeroplane solo isn't a rocket science, compared to some other aircraft, etc.

I'm 'junior' helicopter instructor, aeroplane PPL/IR so far, but in those 200hrs in FI seat, I've had more than average share of difficult students/lessons. 3 out of 5. I can say that what students, pre or post PPL, even with 100+ hours, think of themselves and the actual reality (their skills/decision making etc), can be the two sides of Yin and Yang.

You sound reasonable in your responses, but it's been said before. Nobody here can make correct judgement. If you save up and fly more frequently when the weather isn't likely to be factor for cancelling classes, heck, even morning and afternoon flights, if transport to airport is an issue.

I've had near-kamikaze stick skills in emergency training maneuvres student (PPL rated) getting pissed off later about how I don't let him fly the damn thing enough (well, I like my spine without compression injuries etc, then being told by boss NOT TO LET HIM FLY the way he saw, which was when I tried to stay off controls till very late fixing it up). Right there. What's considered safe, OK by boss or me, could be some adult CPL trainee idea of being near-Maverick. Yeah right.

Ask yourself a question. Is going solo bit later, regarding total time flown, going to screw up your life and pride/confidence? You've not trained often enough to improve/avoid revisiting maneuvres/getting rusty.

Would you rather freak out and mess up important stall/spin avoidance handling or dealing with power failure emergency, OR
Would you rather be bit overtrained and confident you're proficient/current/safe to fly solo and deal with any situation?

Remember, sending you for first/early solo is 'signing for' you being safe, both with aviation authority, school's owner/boss, FI's conscience. Erring on side of safety can mean ovetraining you bit. That training will go towards your PPL flight test skills, so whether you do the minimum solo time here or there, you'd still receive training. Ready to solo in circuit/pattern, does not equal being ready for flight test.

I know I mixed in some helicopter stuff (my experience and it's more critical there due to complexity/aerodynamics/handling), but as side note, some Swedish guys I know, told me of student who had engine failure on first solo in TURBINE Jetranger. Well, supposedly millions+ higher odds of compared to piston engine. He set it down OK/well.

It's not a race. I know that feeling of being 'milked', as it happened to me at other schools, where I didn't instruct, for my initial training. Long story. Anyway. Further down the line, whether you fly recreationally or for career, once you get the hours/experience up, you'd see it other way.