PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FMS usage and applications for ATC purposes
Old 11th Apr 2014, 10:04
abrasato

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FMS usage and applications for ATC purposes

Hello everybody,
as I am an Air Traffic Controller and I'm now applying on ATC research and development subjects, I need to have a professional consultation with the other side. You, the pilots
In order to better understand the FMS functionalities, I need to know if is possible (or sometimes done) the following action by the pilot:
ATC assigns a specified FL through a clearance (i.e. climb to FL220), the action that I expect to be done by the pilot is -if the read back was correct- (after or at the same time of the readback) the selection on the FMS of this FL (in this case FL220).
Could be possible (and if yes in which cases) that you select another "intermediate FL", even if your intention is to stop the climb at FL220?
I would figure a situation in which you did a correct read back, but you select, instead of FL220, i.e FL260 in order to get, let's say, an higher rate of climb.
I ask you this because the FL you select on board (and thereafter downlinked by Mode S transp) could be useful to understand if you are acting correctly and coherently with the ATC clearance (also when the readback have been done correctly).
Thank you for any contribution.