PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Jetstar Pilot Cadet Program
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2014, 03:25
Flyboat North

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bing is back with his smarty pants mouth.

You claim to hold a bachelors and masters degrees, be 33 years old , and fly a 737 for either Virgin or Qantas, having progressed there after five years in "GA". A powerful CV to say the least. And you now state to you will resign your airline job and return to "GA".

You really are in Disneyland without a ticket.

In my view your CV is a complete fabrication, and that is why I made the $100 bet. But after initially accepting the bet you now hide, you do however continue with your smarty pants mouth via this anonymous BB.

The Qantas cadets were all employed by Qlink, many are now captains there. The Q cadets still in training were given the option to transfer over to the Jetstar upon course completion - many took that.

Sure come cadets fail , some elect to leave , some get thrown out but overall the conversion to airline employment is over 90% and in most courses over 95%. Pretty much as good as it gets really, demanding courses in short time periods , so they must be getting the selection right.

Contrast this with say other large groups of CPL grads say the graduating classes say the 2010 to 2012 classes from Swin , Griff , UNSW. OK the flying schools take one or two a year but typically they have 30 to 40 completing each year. What % from the 2010 classes are still actively pursuing a "piloting" career - I would suggest 30% would be an overly optimistic figure.

I have been told that the majority of graduates from these programs never obtain a pilot job , never actually do one paid hour as a commercial pilot. The training/education is quite good - the issue is the lack of opportunity at the lower end of GA.

These places typically tell prospective students they have all sorts of alliances with airlines, that their students get preference - just tall tales really. Or that doing their course will qualify them to be a "regional airlines first officer" and they put this in black and white - amazing.

What they don't tell them is that within 12 months of graduation at least half of CPL class has given up on a career of being a pilot. They have realized that even in an average market the bottom end of GA is pretty much a slave system, and they aren't prepared to join the fray.