PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accidental diesel in Rotax 912
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2014, 01:23
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
I've been fortunate during my life not to have mistakenly put the wrong fuel in a tank. I don't feel particularly virtuous about that, just thankful really.

In the interests of contributing a bit of useless information that may amuse some and lighten the serious tone I thought I might mention a time when I did put kerosine in a [normally] petrol powered vehicle.

This was back in the 1980's when, here downunder, the Govt raised the price of petrol dramatically but omitted to do the same to kerosine for whatever reason. IIRC the cost difference was around 50% or more for petrol, but kerosine was available at the pump - predominantly for home heating purposes I guess.

I was running a particularly economic SII Landrover at the time; at around 11mpg in 2wd and somewhat less in 4wd on the paddocks I was keen to seek an alternative method of running it.

This particular LR had a 7:1 compression ratio and I figured it should run on kero, or at least a mix of kero/petrol. There was some thought I might have to start it on petrol and switch to kero but I shrugged my shoulders and just gave it a go.

Over the year or so I tried this I don't think I ever ran it on 100% kero, rather there was a variable ratio to the mix as I occasionally felt guilty or concerned about what was really happening to the motor. In the end nothing seemed to happen, possibly there was a bit of mild black smoke but that's about all I recall. Certainly it started reasonably well and didn't seem to suffer in performance much, mind you it was hardly a high-performance machine to begin with.

I later sold the LR to an acquaintance, I never heard that he had any problems with the motor [of course one _always_ had trouble with the drivetrain, but that's another story].

These days kero is considerably more expensive, and most of my vehicles are somewhat higher compression, and so I've never tried it again. It might be that the odd one may run well on AVGAS but I couldn't possibly comment

FP