PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Habsheim
Thread: Habsheim
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2014, 21:45
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
@ Barking

It is interesting that we are still here talking about the FCS implementation and such after such a long time.

The point is that many heavy pilots have never flown their planes to within a hair's breadth of the programmed limits.

The accident was caused by a low power setting and lack of practice and plain poor judgement ( demonstrating the jet at its max AoA with pax on board at a ridiculous altitude). Sheesh.

I go with Doze and Okie for the most part. And I think Okie flew the same jet I did in his previous life, which was full FBW and very clear limits defined as to the aerodynamics.

The mentality that the cosmic flight control system will "protect" you is dangerous. We don't all have to be super engineers or test pilots, but we do have to understand the "limits" and then all the reversion modes of both the FCS and the autothrottle ( Asiana).

So I feel that good training in the real jet as well as the sim could help here. I know that $$$ count, but seems to me that a few hours and maneuvers in the real jet would pay off big time.

AF447 PROVED that you could stall the jet if you climbed at such an angle and ran outta speed before the magic FCS could help. The plane was still recoverable, so it was not truly in a "deep stall", it was "deeply stalled".

That's all I gotta say here from the peanut gallery.