PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real cost of gaining PPL in the UK 2014
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2014, 18:27
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are you paying that?
A random google of flying clubs in the Midlands came up with that price at Gamston for a PA28 with instruction. Having rechecked it was a typo on my part, it's actually £165 an hour.

It's easy for me to say, I basically had my PPL paid for by the idiots at the MOD
Indeed, I'm assuming you have some background in aviation. If you're Joe Public off the street who's only experience of aircraft is going to Malaga every year then finding an owner to let you borrow his/her aircraft to learn on is a bit of a tall order when just driving through the airfield gate will be a journey into the unknown.

It's easy if you've been in aviation all of your adult life. Imagine yourself doing something you've never done before or ever had any connection with nor any idea about. It's a daunting task just thinking about doing a PPL. I'm assuming that you are like me, probably serving or ex RAF, surrounded by aircraft and aircrew all of your working life. Just by the inevitable networking that goes on you get to know people who can do this that and the other for you if you can do this that and the other for them. Not everyone else has that background.