PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LONDON CITY - 2
Thread: LONDON CITY - 2
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2014, 18:07
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is not the lifeblood of the city! Heavens above, it was so niche BA nearly pulled out when BACON was wound up. It's a rich man's toy in a poor neighbourhood literally cut off from all around it. Crossrail ensures that LHR connects more people to the City faster, relax, LCY going away would not be the end of the world. It's my local airport btw, I am not exactly unfamiliar with it's history, routes and demographics.
This one will be a bit of a mystery to the more aviation-minded board members here, concern for those living north of LCY when the runway is 09/27 .....
Yes as you've just pointed out, all departures are turned at the Wharf onto North East and held below low for longer than the norm to avoid LHR inbounds. The noise is spread North West and North over Stratford, which is not a quiet place when LCY is active. I'm pretty pro aviation but it's misleading to pretend HSBC will leave London with a Crossrail station to LHR at Canary Wharf. Is there anything to be said against noise and pollution dumped on the poorest parts of London so the Masters of the Universe don't have to cross town to the existing facilities estd. 1947?

Cheaper to buy and close LCY as a quid pro quo for runway 3 at LHR than buy LHR and build a new estuary airports and still probably close LCY. We've been planning in isolation for years, it's not sensible and while I am far from a Greeny, the expansion plans will make LCY a major airport, something that was *NEVER* intended. Money stomps over all though....

It's also a licence to print money for BA who have succesfully removed most competition and charge a premium over LHR/LGW.

Last edited by Skipness One Echo; 10th Apr 2014 at 18:22.