PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2014, 16:45
Lonewolf_50

Received 395 Likes on 245 Posts
Wader2, I think the question being asked about the time between about 0200 and 0800 (KL time) is "why no air search/scramble." I don't think anyone would fault the Malaysians for looking on the surface after first light ...

Regarding that gap.

"What did the folks who got the info that an aircraft had not reported in/was missing think the problem was?"
  1. Did they think it was simply lost comm? Maybe.
  2. Did they think it had gone down? Most likely
  3. Did they think that there'd been a Payne Stewart type problem (depressurization) and was flying about with no hand at the wheel? Maybe.
    • If so, they'd probably expect to hear from another agency when it wandered further into foreign airspace.
  4. Did they think it was hijacked? Probably not, given a lack of a hijack code
  5. Other estimates inserted here _______________
So what do you do?

Did RMAF have any radar contacts that were heading toward sensitive areas, or 9-11 type targets in KL or other major city?
Assessment was probably "no" on that score. If no, why scramble fighters?
The depressurization scenario would be the assumption where one probably would ... but where was it? Fighters don't have infinite fuel. Did Malaysia have a ready AAR tanker on alert?

Was there certainty that it had gone down, rather than it being still in the air in the early period of the 0200 - 0800 gap?
Probably not.
Was the first practical time to start a search for a downed aircraft during daylight?
Yes.
Well I'll be, they sent some planes up after sunrise to go and have a look.

Seems to me that morning launch is a non story.

The coordination and comms questions, 0200ish to 0800, may be a story. Depends on the facts and what the investigation uncovers.