PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Investigation Report Out Boeing 737-210C Controlled flight into terrain
Old 10th Apr 2014, 15:31
DOVES

DOVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“They’d all be walking, talking and alive if they went around”...

Words, words, words.
We can make it as long as we like it, but.
We're not talking about philosophy nor of rhetoric, but of aviation.
Also if the solution of the two flight crew members in commercial aviation is not perfect, it is certainly effective for the management of a situation in which one of the pilots fails.
It follows that it is essential for the two to coordinate and integrate themselves, namely they have to know moment by moment what the other is doing and is about to do, and is sure that everyone knows.
This is achieved through the slavish observance of Standard Operations and Calls.
Undoubtedly a single pilot decides, executes and controls at his libido all flight operations, such as the extension of flaps, landing gear etc. (but for sure he has no passengers on his plane).
In the cockpit of an airplane with two members that would be very very wrong.
If I remember correctly the Pilot Flying was ordering the execution of a manoeuvre (such as the extension of the gear), Pilot Not Flying (now Pilot Monitoring), after checking that there were each and every conditions (for example speed limit) for the execution, complied, repeating the order. Upon reaching the new configuration, the PM always gave verbal confirmation.

During the approach, there were calls to be made in case of exceeding the normal parameters:
- Configuration
- Speed (if the speed was more than +10 / -5)
- Attitude (if it was +/- 5°)
- Vertical speed (if the variometer was more than -1000 ft / min)
- Localizer (if Loc was more than half dot from the center)
- Glide (the same as above)
If at the third one of those calls (in this case "Localizer! Localizer! Localizer") there was no response from the PF, the other had to intervene: "Emergency Authority. I have control! Go Around!"

An unnecessary GO AROUND is better than a CFIT

And believe me: in the end everybody will be thankful to you.