PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour Building (Canada)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2001, 19:45
Canada Goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W.O.

I can recommend Canada as a sound alternative for hour building purposes over the USA, though I have to say I don't know how it would work with regards to renting aircraft with a foreign (UK) PPL. Probabaly have to write the PSTAR (rules & regs, arimanship etc) and do a few other exams/checkouts). No doubt Xenon can fill you in on such matters.

One thing to bare in mind with regards to getting a Canadian CPL is that it can only be used in Canada, and to work in Canada, you need a work visa or right to work in Canada (e.g. maybe you were born here, or a parent is Canadian etc.). Obtaining a work visa is a lentghy and costly process and they are only issued to people who have a skill set that is in demand in Canada, and I doubt a bush pilot is one of those areas in demand. Don't get me wrong there is a need for Bush pilots but, and I believe I am correct in saying, there is not a shortage of them, or other commercial pilots, though I seem to recall seeing airline pilot on such a list many years ago - but don't quote me on that !! Generally most people progress onto a CPL after obtaining their PPL, so I'm not sure on how many hours you need before beginning down that route, again, no doubt Xenon will have the answers. For licence requirements you can check out the Transport Canada web site CARS 421.30
http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/regserv...21e.htm#421_30

Similarly, drop me a line or post again if you have any other queries.

Cheers,
CG.