PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I normal? Statistics needed!
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2014, 12:13
The500man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know statistically how many engine failures occur during the lifetime of an average Lycoming? 1? 10? 0.01? I don't.
I don't know either but it is a pretty small number I think. You can also help yourself here by doing proper pre-flight and power checks on the thing you are flying before taking off. It's also easier to spot problems if you always fly the same aircraft.

If an airliner has to ditch, what are my chances of dying from the cold water, rather than the landing on calm seas, as is likely the case in a light aircraft?
You should look at it this way; an airliner being a multi-engine type will have a much lower chance of needing to ditch in the first place. If it does need to ditch THEN you can worry about surviving the landing, and THEN not drowning getting out, and THEN whether you would last long enough in the water to be rescued.

How difficult really is it, putting on a mask?
The longer you leave it: the harder it gets. Get yours on first and then you will be in a position to help someone else. You won't be of much use to your kids if you're unconscious.

I'm also into motorcycling (road), so if anyone can post comparable safety statistics on the safety of motorcycling and travelling via commercial airlines that would be great.
There have been a few threads comparing motorcycling to flying light aircraft and from what I remember the statistics are fairly similar. Airliners are very safe, as is driving. I think statistically walking on the pavement is actually more dangerous! Statistically though the NASA space shuttle was a very safe form of transport as well, with only 2 failures in 135 launches.

Personally I feel motorcycling is more dangerous than flying, and I'd be more worried about going into space then over the pond to the US. I also feel more aware of my height above the Earth when flying over water.

The statistics can look pretty good, but it's not really going to change the way you feel about doing something.

EDIT: I forgot to mention horse riding! You probably already know this as a biker, but horse riding is statistically much more dangerous than riding a motorbike.