PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do we mumble on the radio in Oz?
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2014, 00:16
mcgrath50

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Late night PPRuNeing strikes again! You are right, I used bearing when you said radial. How about its an airport with both an NDB and VOR and my plane is only ADF equipped?

I also abbreviated the correct call, let's try "East Sale Traffic, ABC, PC9, 32 miles to the west inbound on the 260 radial (or bearing, would be just about the same give or take a few degrees)"

Should probably throw in an altitude there. Now we have the pedantry out of the way (I seriously hope I got it correct this time), what is so hard for a first solo nav student to understand? If he catches 32 miles to the west but doesn't understand the radial and there's conflict, speak up and ask. I know I didn't have a grasp on bearings and radials on my first solo nav, but my gosh I should have, it's not difficult if someone takes 5 mins to explain it to you!

One thing my instructor did instill in me though before I blasted off was if someone makes a call you don't understand better to ask them, in plain english if necessary. We've all been the solo student coming face to face with a dash on an IFR approach you've never heard of. No (good) pilot is going to think any less of you for speaking up. It's the guys who don't that cause problems.