PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC for choppers coming at last
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2014, 23:27
nigelh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Homonculous . I totally agree with you . I also see exactly where TC is coming from as well . The problem is that one piece of clothing does not fit everyone ....you have to legislate to the lowest common denominator .
IF , and its a big IF , you could pick out the pilots who keep current and would be prepared to keep instrument flying current , possibly even have a 6 month quicky check ride ....then i think it would work fine . The moment some guy with 500 hrs and no idea uses his EIR to fly to a destination that is NOT forecast to be VFR , and then has to do a Radar let down etc etc it will all fall apart .
We all talk about how diffficult flying IMC in a non SAS machine is and how perishable the skill is .......well why not do something to make it a whole lot easier ??
When you see what model helicopters can do now with autopilot linked to satnav ( GPS ) ...ie get out of any attitude / weather and fly back to where they took off and land ..................it makes you wonder why we all fly with instrumentation that is out of the dark ages !!!! Why would that same technology not work on full size ....even if it just flew you back on a reciprocal heading and height ....?
I am hoping to do an experiment one day by getting a low hour ppl with NO instrument flying experience and put him into IMC and see how he flies using synthetic vision . If , and i suspect he will , he is able to fly a circuit just using that , and get out of unusual attitudes as well .....will that become an invaluable piece of equipment especially for vfr machines ??
Has anyone done this ?