PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC for choppers coming at last
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2014, 21:10
homonculus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went quite some way along the IR route but stopped because I realised nobody was going to employ me to fly IR, that I would never afford to fly IR on my own account, and that I rarely wanted to go anywhere near anywhere with an instrument approach. However, I regret not one penny of the cost as the experience I believe made me a better and more cautious pilot.

I certainly don't think it would be any value in IIMC when my survival would like anyone else in an unstabilised ship be mere minutes. I do however worry about those who seem to believe extra training is bad.

EIR would be of value. I lose count of the number of times I have scurried across the channel when there has been good weather either side. The number of times when VFR on top would be far safer except for the lack of a hole big enough to get up there. And it is not that unusual to have low cloud over certain areas such as the Chilterns with VMC either side

Low cost autopilots are now a reality. The CAA objections whenever I have engaged them has been the risk of engine failure which doesn't meet the statistics. So if it is feasible and safe to allow some pilots to have additional training and additional equipment which could in some occasions extend their ability to fly safely, it is a rum do for us to argue over it