PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2014, 19:55
underfire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RS, I am quite certain it is not the Capt driving the search pattern parameters. Why would I mention your name?

Coding course paths for surface and subsurface vessels is much the same as a coded flightpath for an aircraft.

When mapping, a surface vessel is typically on a coded course. When towing an array, the coded turns must take into account the towfish depth and dynamic properties. The fish must stay at depth for proper mapping overlap.

Look at the search pattern that I provided, and you will see that it is much more efficient.

I have been providing mapping patterns for autonomous underwater platforms for telecommunications cable laying for several years, so commercially, we understand how to map effectively. When one is paying for fuel, one learns to be efficient.

EDIT: I would also take note of the TPL shown in the image above. (post 9682) IF that is the actual configuration, it is not correct, which is likely why they have to tow it so slowly. A higher speed tow would involve a towfish depressor weighted wing in front of the array. The wing would keep it at depth with far higher speeds, about 7kts instead of 2...

Last edited by underfire; 9th Apr 2014 at 20:12.