PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Mull of Kintyre
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2014, 15:27
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Tandem I do not know what you do for a living these days but......

GPWS - is a database linked to a GPS. It is not and never will represent the real world. It is a good awareness and alert tool if its limitations are properly understood.

RADAR - the most reliable indication of obstacles and coastline when offshore. Used in conjunction with GPWS it can validate at least in part, that the GPWS coastline is accurate.

HOWEVER - I specifically excluded GPWS from my post. Not only for the reasons above but because, to the best of my knowledge. It was not available on helicopters at the time of the Mull crash, therefore it is irrelevant to the subject matter in hand.

But nice try yet again attempting to deflect the object of my post from its original, and valid purpose and avoiding having to answer the most simplistic of questions.

Like I said, I do not know what you do but if you are in current flying practice, in respect of the various merits of GPWS and WX Radar, when over water, you can take the radar information to the Bank! The GPWS, well she comes second, always.

Over the land of course, the priority reverses but only to the extent that the red blobs on the GPWS are database blobs. Not real world radary type blobs.

What else have you got!

DB