PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real cost of gaining PPL in the UK 2014
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2014, 13:11
Der Rote Baron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One more

I cannot add any figures from own experience, as I am still in the process of filling my piggy bank for my PPL myself. However, over the past couple of years I have done quite a bit of research (using information from this and other websites, pilots and esp. schools). Apart from the obvious - and very important - aspect of what one wishes to do up there in the air it seems that really only a chosen few achieve the 45 hour minimum requirement. 15 years ago I was quoted £6000 all in for a PPL but nowadays real numbers amount to between £10,000 - £12,000, which is what I will budget for.

I have to say, most helpful for me are the figures given here for continuing to fly. As so often, it is not the buying of something but the maintaining that is the actual expensive part. Thanks to everyone for providing the likes of John TT and me with such an invaluable insight.

By the way, unless you know it already of course, the book 'Take your wings and fly' by Jason Smart is a first-hand account of someone going through the mangle of a PPL course. Very honest, funny and with all the pros and cons, incl. the idiosyncrasies of instructors and the predictably unpredictable British weather.