PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have around 300 pilots left RYR lately?
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2014, 10:04
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RYR has 3000 pilots. An attrition rate of 10% is not unexpected in any airline. This could be made up of retirements, loss of licence, moving on. I wonder how You'll see from the 3 common reasons there is a spread between the older long served veterans, the unfortunate LoL guys of all ages and the more likely mid-expereinced guys who move on. It is likely that the 'movers-on' are not from the nationals but more the next level of operators. How is the ratio in other large airlines?
What might be more of concern is if the vast majority of losses fall into the 'movers-on' category. That identifies that they don't view their company as a medium/longterm career provider. That's disappointing. It reflects on motivation, loyalty and personal investment. It also causes the in-house training dept. a lot of work and dilutes the company culture in higher ranks, or leaves a short-fall of suitable candidates for promotion.
Are other similar airlines experiencing the same outflux? I'm sure there is a vast movement of vacancies inside the industry rather like a solataire; where there is an empty hole but it just keeps moving; i.e. there is a limited number of vacancies and as people move the vacancies move rather than increase. The large movement of labour may give an impression there are countless vacancies.

Last edited by RAT 5; 9th Apr 2014 at 11:48.