PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Living in China - Families
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2014, 01:28
FCOM-5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a very thin path I am moving on, I am well aware and I assure YOU (lifeafteraviation), I am not trying to be "pushy" towards one company.

I replied to you in another forum "living in china", what my intensions are and I am trying to participate so that we all can share experiences and ideas, which others reading can get a better understanding of what to expect if they move to or work in China.

There are many pilots, who have never worked as an "expat" or in another company than in their home country and these pilots might be really good guys, but they often face problems, which are mostly related to wrong (or lets say "different") expectations, not been able to adopt to the new culture or just the most common one body language, tone of voice and language barriers.

There is so much negative talking about the aviation in China and I do admit, that there is a looooooot of space for improvement (quoting the words of one British instructor friend of mine). :-) There are a lot of things, which personally drive me crazy every single day and if the day was smooth, then the day isn't over...which was I statement I made once and was cursed by, when I had my best man over with his wife, we were all relaxing after a long trip back from the Philippines and my wife mentioned "that I might have exaggerated a little bit, when I prepared the two of what to expect here"... as she finished her sentence, it became pitch black. Of course, imagine 4 people plus children, after a long trip, just got into the house with a crazy taxi driver trying to cheat you thinking you are a newbe tourist, dark house,... What happened...the electricity card ran out of units!

NOTE: In many places in China, you prepay your electricity, water and gas! Interesting move, considering how many people of a 1.3bn population would have overdue bills!

And there are many other stories, which are nice to share. Even on professional matters, like delays in pilots staring to fly, created by two departments (HR - Foreign Pilots Recruitment and FLT DEP - Training Scheduling Office), where the two ladies are literally sitting back to back, meaning if both want to get up, they can't because their chairs will touch, and they are not allowed to communicate the training schedule and availability of a pilot with each other (though they have lunch together), because by company policy they are different departments and all communication has to go up until the department head, then move sideways to the other department and then down again to the officer doing the work. Of course all communication has to be done like that....and it takes ages!

Well hope this will be history and so I really hope, that I can participate and clear some of those old fashion stuff to what is happening nowadays.

I like to get all the bad feedback, but also the good stuff so that we can bring up those issues to the management attention and work something out for us.

At the end of the day, we all share the same airspace and I know, that other airlines as well as government staff also look into these kind of posts. Not everything is taken seriously, but you can see trends...and that can make a difference to all of us.

I hope, I could convince you of my intensions and if you like to share experiences or anything else, I would really appreciate that it is understood as exactly that and nothing more than that.

FCOM-5