PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ: ATPL Flight Test
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2014, 00:15
NoseGear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Having been thru this process about 10 years ago, it seems it hasn't changed much in the lack of availability of an appropriate aircraft. The requirements from CAA are 3 fold, it is EITHER over 5700kgs, pressurized or turbine. Note either, not all 3, so this is why the Mojave can be used as it's pressurized. Someone mentioned that you need 10 hours on type, this is correct, and you also need a current NZ Instrument rating, so if yours isn't, then you need to do a currency ride, which is going to cost. Add on top a 1-2 hour type rating as well to that mix. It was possible to do "dead" sectors in the Mojave to reduce the cost, however, as I found, this was a very frustrating exercise as you basically need to sit around waiting for it to be used, mainly to WLG, which is about 1/2 an hour so it takes a fair few sectors to get your 10hours up. At the time Air Wanganui had just acquired their Kingair so they were using that mostly as opposed to the Mojave, as you would, so it took me months of back and forth to Wanganui. Unless they now use the Kingair for ATPL flight tests, I would not recommend this path. I'm not sure of other aircraft, I did contact Vincents in WLG, they seemed receptive but again, this information is old.

One more thing...don't expect the examiner from CAA to be available when you are. I believe there was only one examiner in the country, and it was near impossible to get him booked any time under 6 months prior. This was obviously a major hindrance in getting the flight test done. Don't forget also, the examiner is based in Wellington, so you'll need to pay his costs in getting to where ever you are and home again.

All in, if you can't get it done with the airlines, expect an excessively frustrating, long and expensive path to the flight test....and NZCAA were about as useless as Captain Hook at a gynaecology convention....