PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flapless B737 LDG
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2014, 21:53
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
Max reverse and max autobrake.
From my FCTM
Use of autobrakes is recommended. Autobrake setting should be consistent with runway length. (See Autobrakes Landing distance in the PI section of the QRH, Performance Limitations and Planning Manual or EFB). Use manual braking if deceleration is not suitable for the desired stopping distance. Immediate initiation of reverse thrust at main gear touchdown (reverse thrust is more effective at high speeds) and full reverse thrust allows the autobrake system to reduce brake pressure to the minimum level. Less than maximum reverse thrust increases brake energy requirements and may result in excessive brake temperatures.
I think using max reverse is a great idea but using max auto-brake would be something that needs serious thought. For example, at my home base we have over 3400m of runway. At max landing weight, nil wind, you'll chew up 1400m using max manual braking if you do everything correctly. Using Auto Brake 3 you'll use about 2600m. That leaves 800m up your sleeve.
Let's say you stuffed up the flare and floated all the way to the 2000ft mark before touching down, and when you did you were ten knots fast, you'd still stop 400m before the end of the runway.
On a runway of that length I'd use AutoBrake 3 and I would go around if a float looked like taking me past the 1500ft touch down marker.
Obviously that is just my own opinion of the risks involved but I thought it worth mentioning that max auto brake isn't a given and (in my mind at least) should be avoided if possible at those high speeds.