PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2014, 21:41
drwatson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Johny B

Yes the lack of real news or spin theories is postive

The Australian newspaper has a headline that proclaims that we have foubd the haystack and now to find the needle but nor much else..

And another has some details on further reducing the size of the haystack...from ABC auz Malaysia Airlines MH370: Search crews confident missing plane's locator beacon still running - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

"However, the plans have been put on hold until another signal is received, or it is certain the batteries in the black box recorder have expired.

The international search team is focusing on a 600-kilometre arc in the southern Indian Ocean, about 1,600km off the West Australian coast.

US navy captain Mark Matthews is in charge of the equipment detecting the signals.

He says while there is a chance the battery is still working, crews will keeping using their towed equipment, rather than underwater submersibles.

"It's an operational trade-off. The ground I can cover in one day using the towed pinger locator would take me six days with an autonomous underwater vehicle," he said.

"I'm going to keep using my towed pinger locator until I'm prepared to say, 'You know what? The beacons are no longer transmitting'."

He says there is cautious optimism from the sounds that have been picked up.

"The frequency, it was a repetitive signal every second, the pulse whip was about 10 milliseconds in length - that's appropriate for the signal," he said.

"The only thing that was a little off was the frequency of the transmission but based on the age of the beacons and talking to the manufacturers, it is still a signal of interest."