PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Farnborough Airspace Proposal
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2014, 19:39
Dave Gittins

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't have any problem using a radio but to the SW of London I have a problem being able to get a word in edgeways. I fly out of Redhill and if I am going west the Farnborough Radar frequencies are pretty busy at weekends.

If I have to get a class D clearance to visit White Waltham or Booker, I am pretty sure that on a nice Sunday morning that will cause congestion, delays and add risk. At least right now I don't HAVE TO contact Farnborough West. In future I won't have a choice and will maybe have to orbit for clearance.

I just got back from 2 superb weeks in Florida with clear skys, free airfields and huge areas to fly in albeit controlled but with helpful controllers and few restrictions. I crossed the overhead at Orlando and T&G'd at Sanford (and about 20 other fields as well) FOC

If we did the same as in the US where the norm is an overhead transit through the busiest airspace, or a minimal size shelf system then that would make life a lot easier. Trouble is our solution seems to be to keep us GA pilots out instead of accommodating us safely and sensibly.

If we cannot be assured that the 10 people per hour who benefit won't delay the 100 of us peasants who don't we have to find against this proposal.

Last edited by Dave Gittins; 9th Apr 2014 at 11:42.