PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 G-LBAL helicopter crash in Gillingham, Norfolk
Old 8th Apr 2014, 18:54
Pittsextra

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Why always after the event?

What puzzles me with this type of thread (quite aside from the bun fighting) is that ultimately we all happily conclude that the pilot fired the machine up and so it all rests with him. Running out of fuel, bad weather decisions, poor maintenance, poor skill level, out of currency - whatever it might be - nothing anyone could have done because in the end the law, the rules say its all down to the pilot.

Maybe that sits well with purists who don't want or don't think anyone should interfere but as we can see even the best pilots can shunt. In fact the Mull Chinook crash is a case in point. Which ever way you believe this aircraft met its demise its clear that there was a degree of discomfort making the flight in that aircraft.

In this case the owners attitude has been put into question. That's not just based upon comments post this accident but upon reflection of many years of prior postings on this very site. The detail around such "issues" remains (at least to me) a mystery because actually no one has come out and said - perhaps that's further evidence of commercial pressures? Who knows.

What I don't understand however is that whilst there is no effective union for helicopter pilots there are a number of effective and respected organisations that either align themselves or suggest they represent the professional pilot. Could they not do more or assist when presented with or finding cases such as this? (I'm talking about doing more in respect to getting involved with the business over what would seem to be a multi year complaint about an owner with questionable history that includes one previous fatal accident).