PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC for choppers coming at last
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2014, 16:22
handysnaks
Tightgit

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
QTG, I can think of at least three recent accidents that leaves your assertion about instrument flying skills (in the UK anyway), open to question!
Whilst there is no immediate plan for either helicopter EIR or CB IR, part of the consultation process is/was to consider whether there was any merit in exploring the issue.

So (even though it will probably never happen for helicopters), I personally raise a glass to EASA for giving the whole thing positive consideration.

SARwannabee. Although in an ideal world everyone knocking around with an IR would be the gold standard, the IMC rating has served the private fixed wing community in the UK well for quite a few years. I can actually see the point in a 'professional version' of the IMC rating in my current role with the police. (Some bases are so far away from an airfield with an approach aid that pilots at those bases would be hard pressed to maintain the required number of approaches to keep a full IR current). However, I accept that such a thought is considered a bit heretical within our community.