PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC for choppers coming at last
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2014, 08:59
handysnaks
Tightgit

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

TR, only class A airspace, are there no professionals in class B, C, D etc?
I have always felt that the main reason that IIMC events tend to end really badly is because those pilots who get into those situations are so unused to actually being in IMC that they suffer all of the physiological problems we associate with IMC flight in a very short space of time. I think we all regard IF flying as a very perishable skill but I think that the experience of being in actual IMC is an even more perishable 'experience' (for want of a better word). Anything that enables a practising pilot whether professional or private, to not have to deal with the feeling of panic that must surely occur when they go inadvertent, can only be a good thing, surely?
It always occurred to me after I left my previous IFR role for the VFR role that I have had for the last 19 years, that when the cloud base is solid at 2 or 3 thousand feet, that would be a perfect opportunity to be able to experience actual conditions in a safe manner. I still feel that regular straight and level in IMC would do me far more good than an hour of climbing or descending turns 'under the hood'.
Finally, the idea that we shouldn't allow that sort of thing because pilots will always stretch the law is a similar line of thinking to the idea that WW1 pilots should not have been given parachutes because it might encourage them to bale out!
I appreciate that there ought to be a number of 'hurdles' before that could happen (training, aircraft fit, fuel planning, etc), but as a principle it ought to be encouraged.