PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2014, 03:43
Shadoko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arc #7 published?

From the 04/07 conference transcript ( Transcript of Press Conference, 7 April 2014 , bold from me):
Now, you might all recall the analysis by the expert team that I referred to, I think, three days ago—three or four days ago. This was the analysis of the satellite signals and the aircraft simulation work, and what that revealed was there were a series of arcs which signified where each exchange or handshake occurred between the satellite and the aircraft. The sixth exchange is represented by this line here. A short time after the sixth exchange, there was another exchange with a slightly different signal. This was a matter of, I think, about eight minutes after the sixth ping, and the expert team consider this as very significant. They think something happened at that stage, and we assess that that's about where the aircraft would have run out of fuel.
.../...
And what's the difference between this end of the box and that end of the box? It's the assumptions that relate to the aircraft speed. If the aircraft was travelling slower than normal, it would be this area up here where the aircraft might have ended up. If the aircraft was travelling faster than perhaps normal—a bit faster than here—it would end up in this area here. So that is why we are searching in this area here, and the most promising lead at this stage is the event I described first up, with Ocean Shield in this location here. This graphic will be up on the net after this press conference.
And the graphic:

As said by Houston, the 00:11 ping (known, IMHO, as the 6th) is a line (not an interval). It could be only what is captioned 'Satellite Handshake Calculation #6'. So, has the 'Satellite Handshake Calculation #7' to be tied to the 00:19 'partial ping'?
From the map, the 'Designated Subsea Search Area' look like 80km width (~600/7.5). Is there any clue in the published data that the 00:19 'partial ping" was a flameout from fuel exhaustion or from ditching? Or from another event?