PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QFE and QNH question
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2014, 03:34
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The main reason that it is still used by the military is to recover fast jets by PAR, it keeps what is a very high cockpit workload to a minimum.
I don't understand your thinking there, A and C. The only time the pilot is looking at his altimeter is when he's approaching DH and that doesn't matter whether you're using QFE or QNH. At an airfield at 130' AMSL, the fast jet pilot would either be looking for 200' on QFE or 330' on QNH, either way it's just a number and the workload is not reduced by using one or the other. To the talk down controller it makes no difference either; they are looking at their horizontal and vertical profiles for the (typically) 3 degree approach and QFE/QNH doesn't come into it. As the pilot approaches the dirty great line drawn across the screen that is DH/DA the controller advises the driver that they're approaching minimums, they don't actually use a readout of the aircraft's height/altitude.

When I was going through training there was a period when the military wanted to switch to using QNH and we 'trialled' it by flying circuits at 1000' + the altitude of the airfield. It just became an unnecessary complication for the airfields in the UK, given their close proximity to sea level, and so the experiment was ditched and we went back to 1000' QFE.

Of course, QNH makes much more sense when you start flying in different parts of the world where the airfields are thousands of feet above sea level. Likewise it proves the low transition altitudes that we see in the UK a complete nonsense. I think it would be jolly nice to standardise with QNH and a decent TA, such as the 18000' used by the septics. Mind you, we'd have to get everyone onboard and at the moment the Chinese seem more determined to make things less standard. Of course they use metres but some airports use QNH, whereas others use QFE. There are recent changes to their approach charts that previously had the altitudes and heights in feet but they're now using metres on those too. Add in their switching to KMs for distance on charts and it all becomes a bit of a mess.

Radalts are great but not when the terrain around the airport in hilly