PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC at Ringway/Burtonwood 1950s
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2014, 22:35
philbky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHBM, having been brought up in Manchester and having been a regular visitor to the city centre as a child and intensely interested in any form of transport, I have absolutely no recollection of any BOAC coach in Manchester. The Manchester Air Terminal was originally on the corner of Lower Mosley St and Oxford St, where Peter House was later built. In the early 1950s it was moved to Royal Exchange Buildings with the buses parking in St Ann's Sq. From here Manchester Corporation Transport provided a non stop service to connect with individual flights at Manchester Airport using one and a half deck coaches based on the BEA coaches that provided a similar service at London Airport.

The Manchester vehicles were painted two shades of blue and silver and carried the city coat of arms. They had two destination blinds, one showing the airline, the other the destination of the flight they served. Thus a Manchester Corporation bus could be seen heading south out of the city bearing destinations as diverse as New York, Brussels and Copenhagen. Even more bizzarely, a number of Parrs Wood depot's red double deck service buses carried the airline names in their via blind displays and the city destinations in their destination blind displays as from time to time they had to substitute for the airport coaches.

Incidentally, MCTD had to pay BEA a fee for each of the airport buses built as BEA made a case that they and Park Royal (which built the BEA vehicles) had had their patents infringed.

Back to BOAC and Burtonwood, whilst neither I, nor my extensive archive of Manchester transport, have any note or photo of any BOAC owned or liveried vehicle operating between the city and Burtonwood, and I have grave doubts about the MCTD vehicles operating there although the Corporation had extensive private hire rights outside the city, I'd be delighted to see any contradictory photo evidence. I strongly suspect that a private coach operator provided the service to Burtonwood, there were plenty to choose from and the timing of the flights would have generated welcome revenue at a quiet time.

You mention the situation at Glasgow and there BOAC did have at least one coach of itsown to connect with Prestwick, well into the 1960s.

Last edited by philbky; 7th Apr 2014 at 23:10. Reason: Additional info