PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have around 300 pilots left RYR lately?
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2014, 22:05
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's always confused me, as a pilot and not a business-man, is why, if what I hear is true, RYR and perhaps others shy away from experienced F/O's. Airlines go bust, sometimes they wilt from the competition pressure of the of the LoCo's. It is almost as if there is a law of the jungle out there and the expansion of the strongest is accelerated by the demise of their prey. In a dod eat dog capitalistic environment that seems to be the rule. But why then do the expanding airlines not absorb those whom they have put to the sword? They are expanding and need new commanders. They expand and promote from within, faster then their own F/O's can gain the experience. Yet out there in the market place are the experienced pilots who were in the wrong place at the wrong time waiting to offer their services. Rejected in preference to a 150hr cadet. It is said the LoCo's make a profit from them. Perhaps so, but what is the cost, risk & time spent on getting them onto the line and up to speed as safe pilots? An experienced type rated F/O can be released on line with 4-6 weeks max. A cadet from start of TQ training will take over 6 months. Where is the common sense in that. If an accountant can show the cadet scheme makes more financial sense them I presume the board will buy it, but is it really true? It does seem a daft model where experience is a penalty, especially when we see some of the accidents being executed very month. Is it only me, or are we reading more often about prangs than 10 years ago? Every month there seem to be stories of someone somewhere in the world making a perfectly serviceable a/c not land at the desired point.