PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So What Did You Snack On In The Cold War, Daddy?
Old 7th Apr 2014, 17:10
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Satellite_Driver
You just know someone at Midland Publishing is working on that right now- 'Secret Aircrew Rations of the Cold War, v.1: RAF & USAF'
I haven't noticed anyone covered this topic yet.

Out of Offutt we were rationed in much the same way as at home except no pre-flight or post-flight.

Now the SAC butty boxes were far superior to the RAF ones. That is the butty box itself not the contents. The major difference was that each box we stamped with Rationing Stamp and the ominous words "Eat by hh.mm"

I think, without exception, the eat by time was before our scheduled take-off time. Of course that presented no problems to your bomber crew, especially as there was no free pre-flight.

IIRC the sandwich was the standard white cotton wool bread and there was a piece of Kentucky Fried.

However when it came to real boxes nothing could beat the RAAF boxes. The contents too was pretty good with tinned fruit juice.