PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brand new Boeing unreliable airspeed procedure
Old 7th Apr 2014, 14:29
Becalmed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree, Capn Bloggs, that some are just querying the numbers. Others have suggested that it will cause AF447 to repeat or that they intend to ignore the items altogether so they're the ones I hope see the benefits to understanding and applying the memory item.

4 degrees and 70% N1 (type specific) will work at any altitude where the PIC feels that the flight is placed in imminent danger by NOT adopting the settings and with the Flaps Up. Looking at the 788, 4 degrees and 70% N1 is level flight at 250 KIAS between FL150 and FL200 at up to MTOW (227-ishT).

Anywhere below that in height or weight will clearly give you a climb, albeit at a reducing angle approaching those numbers above. Anything above that is arguably too high to start panicking anyway so touch nothing and refer to the QRH or ECL.

Nothing removes the power of the PIC to vary any of this but if applied it simply buys time to get away from the rocks and start trouble-shooting.

As for my usernames, I was really hoping no-one noticed that. My muck-raking alter egos were just the wrong platform for this discussion!