PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have around 300 pilots left RYR lately?
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2014, 10:26
polax52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GA flap 15.....

In my view, you do not understand what is happening. I realize that there is this view disseminated by Ryanair that their training is good and that they have a good safety record. I don't dispute that they have, fortunately, not had any significant accident.

The problem is the direction of movement of standards. Even easyjet appear to recognise that they need to integrate more experienced Pilots with less experienced. It seems that Ryanair and the IAA are happy to move into new territory where the majority of Pilots are very inexperienced. In addition to that the standards are not what they were 10+ years ago, when there was a significant failure rate during the initial Instrument rating, and flight test phase of commercial pilot training. That is no longer the case we have moved towards he American system from this point of view where it is just "pay and pass".

Any reasonable person would understand that as you become more experienced and have had a chance to recognize your fallibilities you become a safer pilot. It is therefore clear that pushing the boundaries of less experience is a very dangerous move.

If you add to that the fact that Ryanair use "dirty tricks" to prevent the Pilots from becoming unionized, something that the majority want to do and is a legal right in all countries where Ryanair have Pilots based, you further reduce safety. Unions are involved in much more than negotiating pay, they are involved in all sorts of safety matters from the effects of volcanic ash on engines to solar radiation and it's effect on crew, many many other things in between.

I don't believe that as a Pilot you should be defending this kind of operation, especially when it comes to an Airline which is very profitable and that consists of what will maybe be 400+ aircraft in a few years.

Last edited by polax52; 7th Apr 2014 at 13:01.