PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conversion from PA28 to Cessna 152
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2014, 10:12
Exiled Martian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While on the topic of flaps, older models with 40 degree barn-door flaps will let you stop-and-drop the airplane. Fantastic stuff. Just don't try to climb like that.
This was by far the coolest aspect of the 172 checkout. we were at 1200 (on QFE) feet on a very tight left base approach & he springs a glide approach to land scenario on me to end processions! As taught I get to trimming & banking keeping an oval shaped turn towards the tarmac. Get onto short finals (1/4 of a mile from runway threshold) & we are at about ~1000ft roughly, I commence with the flaps 40 input, simultaneously voicing my concerns to him about our attitude, i.e. being too high & that I doubt we would make the runway appropriately, also asked him if I was ok to use some side slip to get us down? he looked at me with a smirk & goes no need son, naturally the ASI decays at a drastic rate once the barn doors take full effect. He then tells me to pitch for 65 & keep that nose pointed at the tarmac. A solemn gulp escaped me as the attitude we were in was very as were literally coming down vertically in a steep nose dive style approach whilst holding ~65-70 knots.

I could not believe how fast (& safely) we were plummeting towards the ground & in close proximity to the runway numbers. During the dive he told me to get ready to catch the plane & level out on his hear say! Awaited his command & executed the catch & flare to perfection... even got a round applause via the RT from the AFISO as I taxied away retracting those marvelous flaps in the process