PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have you ever done something stupid?
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2014, 09:23
ChickenHouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I'll add up to the nasty stupid things.

About half way through the PPL, I was entering home base CTR northbound from a x-country solo student round trip, got clearance "expect 09L". Tower vectored me onto common base for both runways and gave me "cleared to land 09L", when I was in perfect position for 09R, saw the airliner exactly in front of me on ILS 09L and decided in a second of stupidity, that landing was meant to be on 09R, took the turn and got down on 09R, asking for confirmation and apologizing when I was already on my way to taxi off. Tower was quite relaxed and said they saw the action, but did not disturb me, because in that minute there was no danger in doing the wrong runway. I insisted to come to the tower and we had a long discussion on how to prevent things like this. We figured out that the tower should have given me the "you are number two after airliner" to help my brain focus on the correct runway. They also said my radio communication was so well, they did not expect a student. So, in the end we learned that the tower should not take shortcuts and I should not radio like a pro. Everything ;-) has been fine since (don't believe this from a pilot).

Regarding the Minerva I only have to confess one thing I do not treat as a stupid thing - I crashed one on taxiing ...