PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real cost of gaining PPL in the UK 2014
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2014, 09:00
ChickenHouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First advice: if you are short of budget, do not spend it on a PPL. Getting the license is not the last word on costs.

Second advice: allocate 15k to the license and be happy, if you don't need it. Spend the rest of the money on additional flight hours after license.

Yes, there are people passing after 45 flight hours. But, it sometimes is the better choice to fly more hours on different weather conditions with somebody right next to you. When I was taking classes, my intention was to learn to fly, not to collect a license. I enjoyed flying in (very) marginal conditions with an IFR equipped light plane and the safety of an airliner captn as instructor when being an experienced student. Yes, you could do the same after license, but most people won't do that in reality. BTW, I was forced to do exam when I had done 60 hours, because my instructor wanted me to do so. Now I am flying about 100h a year, which does cost me about 20k, so the cost for the license is not the big piece of the story.