PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QFE and QNH question
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2014, 17:37
Binners93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QFE and QNH question

Hi all!

This is my first post to PPRuNe and I am currently in the early stages of modular training for my PPL with Flying Time Aviation at Shoreham Airport (EGKA).

I have read through various threads by others and find them to be very useful, but have a question of my own regarding the (eye rolls by the most experienced members!) QFE and QNH use. Any help would be much appreciated.

I feel I understand the general difference between the three altimeter pressure settings, QFE, QNH and STANDARD. My difficulty comes into understanding why QFE would actually be used at all? I was under the assumption that QFE being the HEIGHT above the aerodrome is most commonly used during activities remaining in it's proximity, such as circuits. What is its purpose though, when the field elevation is under 30ft, therefore being the same as the local QNH?

The aerodrome I train at (EGKA) has an elevation of 7ft AMSL, so both QFE's and QNH's are generally the same. I have never actually understood what when listening to the ATIS I am tuning into the altimeter pressure window? If I set QFE (which is what I believe I am) for local flights, why do charts use AMSL (QNH) for separation and traffic avoidance? Am I choosing between an easier to read approach over safety?

I appreciate that I am very new to this and probably missing something so straightforward , but would appreciate any help from anyone regarding this.