PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real cost of gaining PPL in the UK 2014
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2014, 23:50
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends obviously on where you go and how long it takes. Let's say it takes 60 hours at £175 an hour then that's 10.5K. If you add another 1.5 onto that for all of the other stuff then you have 12K.

The thing is it's OK saying 'Yes I have that money I can do my license' but can you maintain it once you have it? I'm not saying don't do it because just getting the license itself is an achievement but in my (admittedly limited) experience people who have to ask about the price usually don't keep it up once they've flown the family around the local area a dozen times. the dropout rate for pilots once they have their license is enormous. You need to be budgeting around 5K a year minimum IMO to stay not just current, but on top of your game.

Others will be along no doubt to say that they spend four bob a decade because they have a micro something or other and do all of their own servicing. Depends what you want. Personally just for the joy of flying I would take a glider. Having a PPL to me is about going places in reasonable comfort over a reasonable distance and speed with two or three mates.