PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where does the UK/JAR "twin only" mentality come from?
Old 5th Apr 2014, 21:20
AnFI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS:
AnFI;
I lost 3 friends that day, what's your point?
Sorry about your friends. Obviously the point was that you said you didn't know what the engine failure induced accident rate for the Lynx was compared to the Gazelle, now it is clear that you know it is not 100,000 times more rare. It's probably not even 10 times more rare. In fact at a pure guess I'd estimate that it isn't even significantly different - with the possibility that it is even greater in the Lynx than the Gazelle! ( guess based on the fact I know of 2 engine failure crashes in Lynx but none in the Gazelle) If that were the case it would make that 'carting around of a spare engine just incase' (rendering the Lynx practically useless in Afganistan) a pointless exercise, wouldn't it?

A hidden cost of 2 engines was a terrible lack of helicopter capacity, with horrible consequences.

Are we (taxpayers) really so rich that we can afford to replace safe, cheap, powerful and effective single engined Gazelles with... er what exactly?
Let's run the generals around in A109's?

The answer is not clear cut and becomes one of scale (very large being more suited to multi-engines).

Last edited by Senior Pilot; 5th Apr 2014 at 21:24. Reason: Learn to use the quote button