PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ukraine Crisis 2014
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2014, 11:35
rh200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I presume Australia is going to volunteer it's armed forces to fight in Ukraine?
I wouldn't have an issue with that, as long as it looks like the Ukranians are trying to do the right thing and keep there extremists under control. Some extra help on their borders and police observers might give the locals the chance to concentrate on some internal matters and get a handle on their extremists.

Whatever for? Aussies are not in NATO.
Whats NATO got to do with it in relation to Australia. We have been involved with several conflicts that had nothing to do with NATO for various reasons.

The current one might actually have some moral imperative. No oil, aggressor who can fight back. The fact that your actually prepared to put it all on the line and for a very high price might go some place to counter the view your only interested in taking on countrys that don't have any real chance of fighting back.

rh200 - Ukraine is right on Russia's door step and the Russians beleive they had assurances when Germany was re-unified that NATO would not move into the FSU states right up to their borders. They think they've been played for a patsy by the west for 20 years and it's now time to to restore the balance a bit
And this is part of the problem, out dated thinking that there are particular countys that belong to them and us. NATO is no threat to Russia, its the economic benefits of progressing countrys that are a threat, in that they don't have to bend over and take it up the @rse from the Russians.

The Russians are still in the past dreaming of empires, all we are doing is encouraging it.

then perhaps rh200 (Perth Aus.) shouldn't suggest we get into wars he/she has no intention of helping in...........................
Believe I made it clear about us participating. One wonders why the Kuwatis where so special.