PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2014, 10:52
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Fareastdriver, I remember walking those Welsh hills as a CCF cadet on a course based at Bangor. Every day we were given a new set of co-ordinates, always near the top of another hill. Every day we found the remains of yet another CFIT accident, where we tried to identify the type involved, or at least whether it was big, small, or inbetween. They never ran short of co-ordinates!

Geriaviator, and indeed everyone else. If by chance you haven't caught this OP re WW2 Aldergrove, it is fast sinking into the PPRuNe bottomless pit. Worth a look:-
http://www.pprune.org/military-aircr...ilm-found.html

MPN11, my ab initio mentor (QFI in my case) was a Master Pilot, 'Big Daddy' Bright. A man of infinite patience, he relieved much of the anxiety of the 'am I ever going to see this through OK' type. I have his signature on a framed cartoon on my study wall showing a mother crow kicking out a chick from the nest, dated 13 March 1961; first solo at Barkston Heath. He took great pleasure in telling me that as a Master Pilot his day was done when he finished flying, and that as a Pilot Officer mine would be just starting!