PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Diary of a Turb Re-Build
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2014, 10:22
Turb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I came back via Gib. It was in 1986. The complete route was Parham - Lydd - Le Touquet - Deauville - Cherbourg - Guernsey (to see friends) - Dinard - Redon -La Rochelle - Dax/Seyress - Biarritz - Santander - Asturias - Santiago - Porto - Lisboa (I will never forget the look on the tanker driver's face when I gave him my fuel order) - Lagos - Faro - Sevilla - return via Faro to Lagos to get a fresh stock of supermarket trolley wheels for tailwheels (I said yours looks better) - back to Sevilla - Tanger - Rabat - Casablanca (Anfa) - Rabat - Tanger - abeam Gib. (didn't land) - Malaga - Almeira - Alicante - Valencia - Castellion de la Plana - Barcelona (Sabadel) - Perpignan - Mantauban - St. Junien - Poitiers - Chateaudun - Abbeville - Le Touquet - Southend - Parham.

It took 30 days and Pilot published my article about the trip in February 1987. Is that what you were thinking of?

Now, where are you going to go? And don't say "local", that's nowhere near as much fun. Everyone said it was a long way to go in a Turb but it was really just a series of ordinary flights, typically 90 minutes, and the longest leg was 2hr 10min Porto to Lisboa of which 2hr was in the air, covering 151 nm. But instead of pottering around the local area aimlessly I just joined all the little flights up to make a nice trip. It was the best fun I have had in my life so far and my Turb was absolutely the right aircraft for it (except for the tailwheel). Wonderful little thing. When I was taxying in at Santander a delicious feminine voice from the tower welcomed me saying "You are very pretty Lima Zulu". And she was. So is yours. I was a twit to sell mine, don't you make that mistake!