PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2014, 08:58
MPN11

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts
haha ... I had no reason to doubt Jack Meachin's story. He may have had faults, but I don't think he was a bullsh***er. The only thing I can't recall was whether he had a DFC or a DFM.

He was a burly, dark-chinned Australian with all the 'robustness' of the Outback. A bit like 'Desperate Dan', only shorter and broader! Forceful when necessary, he was nevertheless a very good mentor. As he told me, at the end of the War he wanted to stay in the RAF. However, "they" decided that he just wasn't the sort of chap they wanted as a officer ... but would allow him to carry on flying if he rejoined as a sgt pilot. So he did, rose to MPlt (perhaps he benefited from the 'wastage' of other WW2 guys?) ... and eventually became an ATCO.

One of the quirks of the Branch back then was that Master Aircrew in ATC could do Approach, but Warrant Officers couldn't!! So WO Gordon Yates, with years of ATC experience behind him as a SNCO/WO, was confined to Local, whilst MPlt Jack sat downstairs as Approach and DATCO (Duty ATCO, and i/c Watch) ... including oversight of the young officers who were in the GCA truck on the other side of the airfield

But then pilots are all-powerful and omniscient, and can do absolutely anything