PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2014, 21:37
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By the pricking of my thumbs.

Sarcs post - 1852 – provides a recording where NX is questioning Dolan with regard to OBR recovery. Interesting passage of play for not only what's mentioned, but what is not. This is purely in the realms of weekend speculation, normally I wouldn't bother; but something, somewhere is 'off'. So I'll risk a brickbat or two and throw the questions out there to the learned colleagues, then perhaps I can assuage the itch.

Smoke and mirrors 1. The Dolan response blatantly ignores the easy, pre-arranged tow from 50 meters to 30 meters and presents his argument intimating that the 'dive' is to be conducted in 50 not 30 meters.

Smoke and mirrors 2. Why abandon the project at such a late stage ? the initial funding allocation by made Sangston would more than adequately have covered the cable tow to a 30 meter location and the modest fees charged by the diver; done and dusted.

Why does Xenophon not give the date of the 'yellow pages' report? This is an interesting, but IMO crucial, 'omission', whether by accident or design we can't know. He did however, despite being advised to 'get a move on' spend a lot of panel time reading the 'part headings' out to Dolan, who probably has them tattooed on his arse. Yet the initials JH are mentioned; while who wrote it is an important part of the overview, the chronology is essential. You get a picture forming; a senior, experienced, proficient investigator armed with a Rover, a couple of very experienced 'local' boys, a handy derrick and an easy tow to where a diver could easily and safely recover 'the box'. The yellow pages are transmitted to HQ when?, the decision made when ?, the advice to knock off was received when? and the Rover was sent home when?. Another critical element is why was there a caveat, making it a step by step approval for the recovery? It was 90% done, the expensive bit was done, the cost of a ship and a cable were not only insignificant, but allocated. So why was the next, logical step not 'approved'.

It's reasonable to assume that JH would be anticipating a go response, it's the logical conclusion to a 'honest' report. You can easily see the 'picture', it's all ready to go, so why not crack on while the weather is good, the sea calm and the last stage set; I know I would. Is it feasible then, that JH anticipating a GO message, would do the same? It does support the persistent rumour that the tail end of the aircraft was indeed raised, albeit briefly. I'd like to know if Dolan and the ATSB crew are all prepared to make a statutory declaration that it was not

Perhaps the Senate could shout NX a ticket and a weekend on Norfolk to have a couple of beers (it's never just one) at the RSL, let's call it a fact finding mission.

I know, let it go, right. Some mystery's intrigue, some conundrums are food for thought on long journeys, even for idle pub conversation; but this puzzles vexes me. Like the tail of NGA, so close, but oh so far away.

Last edited by Kharon; 4th Apr 2014 at 22:00. Reason: After thoughts.