PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380 landing roll
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2014, 12:48
donpizmeov

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
No Charlie, what I am saying is that BNE runways are designed to get small aeroplanes off the runway and into the domestic terminal as quickly as possible. Fair cop, as the majority of movements there would be supported by this.

Because of this runway exit design, it does cause a significant performance penalty for Very large aircraft that need to use the international terminal. The high speed exits are unusable as they are too close to the runway start. The next 90 degree exit is also too close as it causes excessive brake temps (it would be the perfect position for high speed exit though). These high brake temps not only delay the next outbound sector by 90min, but also increase the risk of brake fire/tyre deflation. I promise you the crews don't ask for the full length just to peeve you off, they are doing it because the runway design gives them little choice. Last time I was there we were still over 100kts when passing the high speed exit.

If you are concerned about aircraft waiting with engines running can I suggest you leave three of the 5 you have waiting at the hold now, at the gate for another 3 min? Problem solved. Seems reasonable.

The Don