PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of the black box
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2014, 03:28
EW73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, Lockheed had a really great idea when they started installing a locator beacon in the P3C Orions, way back in 1978. This beacon is designed to seperate from the aircraft and either 'fly' down to the surface or float to the surface, depending on whether the crash was inflight, on the ground or underwater.

Its located in the vertical stabilizer, right side, and is around one meter square. Its hooked to the airframe at its aft edge, and the forward edge is latched against strong spring pressure, ready for release. Its aerodynamically shaped on its inner surface, flat on the outer surface, so when its released inflight, the forward surface pops out into the airstream, and the combination of spring pressure and airflow pressure take it away from the airframe, and it flies down to earth/ocean like a falling leaf. It starts transmitting immediately and will continue to do so for some time, I don't recall exactly how long, anyway that device will summon searchers and the survivors and 'black boxes' will be found quick smart!
The device is automatically released when any one of several, seven I think, crash detectors are disturbed. One in each wing tip, each side of the forward pressure bulkhead, wing center section, and in the tail.
For my money, its a great idea and will get the required result without having to rely on or be disturbed by anyone onboard.
Next time you see a P3C from the starboard side, look for it, its easily distinguishable!