PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two useless speeds
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2014, 01:03
CaptainInsaneO

Location: You know where the Opera House is? Well....no where near there.
Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts
Jab: Perhaps in the morning you will read it again. And realise what you think you read was not actually what was written.

You're probably right there.

I didn't blow the dust of my text books last night when I read the story. A quick look at it and I could see holes in it - if you consider Vx and Vy useless speeds to all aircraft that is.

As for PSQ though, I wasn't there but I think it's a bit harsh to say that 'no way was he climbing at Vy'.... I've flown Caravans where some don't climb nearly as well as others, especially if that engine had a higher than normal ITT. It might of also have been an SOP thing to climb out at a certain ITT, he might of backed off the Tq and relied on Vy to get him up there as quickly as possible - I don't know though, I wasn't there.

I don't mean to be so critical of somebody's story, yes some theories might hold true to a particular aircraft, but I would hate for a student pilot or fresh PPL/CPL pilot to believe that Vx and Vy are useless to the aircraft they fly.

My point is: just take it with some salt. Just because 95% of Ppruners think it's true - doesn't mean it is true! This story does not prove that Vy and Vx are useless air speeds as this thread title suggests.

If people are reading the story, then reading their POH and flight manual to find the truth for their aircraft - well then I'm a fan of the story and I'm glad I stirred people up a bit.

Happy researching everybody and safe flying!

Last edited by CaptainInsaneO; 4th Apr 2014 at 01:33.