PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A polite request for aviators of a certain age
Old 3rd Apr 2014, 22:01
philbky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disinterest from those who should know better

Some twenty or so years ago I was a regular visitor to an aviation group, the members being predominantly ex BEA and BOAC staff from all areas of the companies, many of whom had joined immediately post WW2.

They had some really interesting stories to tell. At the same period I had contact with a good number of WW2 aircrew as well as some very senior people who had served many years with various aviation authorities.

Most people were willing to be interviewed and their stories placed on tape. I approached the BBC, the National Archive and a well known transport publishing company to see if there was any interest in recording the memories these people had with a view to both possible publication in broadcast, written and archival form and permanent availability to historians.

I was met with total disinterest, not from lower echelon management but from very senior people in each organisation.

Most of the potential interviewees are now long dead and their stories went with them.

Given the antipathy and even downright discouragement of interest in aviation today on the very spurious grounds that any interest is potentially with terrorist intent, I would doubt any approach today would meet with anything other than aneven more disinterested response.