PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Rivet Joint
Thread: RAF Rivet Joint
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2014, 20:51
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wensley,

Yes, I agree that the lawyers are very much more in evidence than they were. I have recent experience of this being used, but not in the way I expected - being told that if my actions delayed a project, the MoD could be sued for 'undue delays'. Note no mention of the MoD running the risk of being sued for taking short cuts with basic airworthiness management.

I agree that things have changed, but the basics of ensuring a safe and effective product for the aircrew haven't, and that's what Tuc keeps pointing out. Neither have the basics of military discipline - if an order's not reasonable, you don't have to obey it. Here's my (not very warry) story.

My first ever front line embarkation. I'm a very junior Lieutenant aircraft engineer. During an ORI, but not at war. Aircraft lands on with blade leading edge strip (old rubber type) severely holed and lifting. I tell the crew to shut down. Senior Pilot angrily tells me to sign the aircraft fit for the next sortie. I refuse. He then gives me a direct order to do as I am told and sign the aircraft as serviceable. I drop the volume, request a word in a quiet space away from the flight deck. I quietly tell him that I'm the engineer, he is the pilot, and I will get the aircraft fixed as fast as possible, and only then will he get the aircraft to fly. If he's unhappy, get another engineer.

Pause.

Senior Pilot asks me if I'm sure I'm right. I say yes. he nods, turns and walks off. Here's the postscript. We had a truly outstanding relationship from that point forward. I would have jumped over the proverbial cliff for him, and I know he'd have done the same for me.

If things have changed, I'm truly sorry for those who have to work in the system. But I suppose what I'm trying to say is that whatever the system, as long as aircrew and engineers behave professionally and honourably, the system can recover. In fact, I think that's the only way things will get better - by people taking responsibility whenever they are required to. Perhaps I'm being naive, but that's where I stand.

Best regards as ever

Engines